Saturday, November 20, 2010

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning."--C.S. Lewis

Since we started reading graphic novels, it seems there has always been a reason as to why a story was written. At least to me as a History major, I feel there has to be questioning on the importance of a source so I always ask, 'Why are we reading this book?" or "What are we supposed to get out of this?" Take the Rabbi's Cat for example. I personally did not like the book because I could not make out what the author's reasoning behind the book was. Then when it was explained in class, it opened my eyes to new thoughts. Now I want to relate this to Esther...

I think the author did not have in mind to have this underlying message in the graphic novel. Instead, I think he was just retelling the story of Esther in graphic novel form. *Yes, you can call me captain obvious* After I finished Esther, my first reaction was, "I wonder what the author's reasoning was behind this book." So I came to the conclusion that there was not one other than the fact that it was done for entertainment. Then I read in, "The Jewish Graphic Novel," that Waldman actually did have a deeper connection to the graphic novel he created. It has to do with the set-up of the story in graphic novel form though as opposed to the actual story of Esther.
Waldman thinks that the combination of text with pictures strengthens brain power, (BOS, pg. xi). I think that was Waldman's intention was to write a graphic novel that would help readers remember the story. It makes sense and also it gives Waldman an excuse to show off his art skills, which are amazing. It is actual art where you have to interpret what is happening as opposed to showing the obvious.

1 comment:

  1. The art does contribute nicely to the story and does raise a myriad of questions for readers. I figured that he portrayed the story of Esther graphically was for younger readers. Not "kids," per se, but young adults. The English plus the pictures does make it more palatable as a whole; however, the author did include SOME Hebrew for those that want it. This novel is a nice "in between" that can be applied to many audiences.

    ReplyDelete